In this Journal Gon will be talking about what we are working on and how we structure our development process. We would love to hear from you what you think about this kind of Journals in our comment section over the website. Feel free to join the discussion over there.
Hope you will enjoy the read.
DEVELOPMENT DIARY: HATS
A year really flies by without knowing. We always need to plan the releases of the games way ahead of time, but development is unpredictable so we need to adapt as much as possible while learning from our mistakes. Development time normally ranges between 6 and 18 months, depending on many different factors: like how polished the game is, how much time we take to create the world and find the right components for the game.
Last year we launched two different campaigns on Kickstarter: Spirits of the Forest and Tang Garden, and we managed to fulfill Spirits of the Forest in 2018. Rolling Ranch was also supposed to be ready before Christmas, but because of complications with the manufacturing process and the organization with our localization partners we missed the deadline.
This year we really wanted to improve as a team to present more games that are still being developed with the same dedication and love towards the creative process.
While Tang Garden is our absolute priority, we still plan on releasing two different retail products and one more Kickstarter campaign.
Hats was something we wanted to make as if it was for Kickstarter without going through crowdfunding. It is part of a new line of games based on Fables that will be directly distributed in retail and pre-released at major conventions.
I found the game by being a judge over a bi-annual contest held in Italy called "Premio Archimede". I really felt that we could do something special with it. This collection has definitely more weight in terms of complexity and we are happy to be able to experiment with it. We love brain-burner moments!
One of the nights during the event I called our game editor and managed to explain the game to him in 3 minutes. He printed templates and started playing right away.
The game was signed in October 2018 and we immediately started working on it. Paolo Voto, our in house illustrator understood that the idea with this title was having fun while making something a bit different from what we are used to.
The overall vibe of the game reminds of a tea time mad experience with the Hatter, but each card has so many different references and hidden easter eggs from other known fables that we can't wait for you to find.
Gameplay wise, we really felt free to develop and explore the different ways to get points.
For example, one of the mechanics involves a cookie that rewards the player with the most variety of different hats. The cookie goes around the table as if it was the only edible thing left in Wonderland!
I don't want to spoil Hats too much since the announcement is meant to happen at the end of this month, but I can't wait for you to try it and let us know what you think about it.
- Recently in a Twitch stream we played Tang Garden: Ghost Stories with the special scenario Uninvited Guest. It was really an awesome game! If you are interested to watch it, visit our Twitch page.
- In our latest update we have shown the resistance of the pavilion and the metal coins. Lots of pictures to see in Update #40
- We are excited to be going so fast with Iwari. In our latest update we show the new colors for the tents and all the different metal pieces. A new surprise also awaits!
- Hats is already under production. This should be our GenCon release for the year. Hopefully, everything will go as planned. We will release more information about the title on May 29th.
- We are finally working on the layout for the game. We can say that the only thing you will be playing with is poker chips. We can't wait to start revealing our plans for the game.
- Tuned is a new project we are working as an Essen release. This will be our second title in the Fables line and it is joining our public pipeline today.
The only way to access our Seals is by subscribing to the Journal over here.
Each month you will be able to collect a seal. Once you gather 10, you will receive a new message with a small gift from us for all your support!
Feel free to comment or ask any questions on this page!